Modding laptop Dell

Posted on viernes, 17 de septiembre de 2010 by Fernando Cosi Villalobos | 0 comentarios
Etiquetas:

PHASE 1: DISASSEMBLAGE

The tools and the paint.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The laptop. It's a pentium 3 with a 5 gig drive and ??? ram (didn't check), so while I'm being careful, 50 bucks can replace it. I'm debating whether to do the top and bottom sections two different colors. I'll use my purple metalcast purple on the metal.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The battery and floppy come out.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

I can take the floppy out of that plastic, so that's what I'm doing.

The bottom:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


When I first accepted the job I wasn't planning on taking the thing apart. Instead I would just mask off. Then I saw this:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

I was like, holy crap that's impossible! Especially since I didn't currently have any blue tape, just some 5-year-old tan stuff that had lost its adhesiveness. Yes, I could have gone to the store or taken some from my dad, but that didn't happen.

I especially didn't want to have to mask this off, so I removed it.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

Removed:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Naturally I didn't want to spray the keyboard, so I figured that it would be easier to remove that than to mask it. You can also see that I removed the trim on the monitor for easier painting, as well as the wrist pads.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Here is the monitor, inside top, and bottom portion in separate pieces.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I continued to see things that would be easier to paint if they were not attached to the computer until I was left with a pile of parts. Let's skip the disassemblage and go straight to the pile-o-parts stage.

The motherboard:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


More piles:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


After I had it mostly disassembled I took the monitor out of its casing:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


Interestingly enough, behind the monitor there is what appears to be tinfoil.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The bracket further removed
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


The latch coming out
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I took out the touch-screen after I tried to mask it. I nicked it a little in the corner, I hope that it's okay. :x

And thus the laptop is in a pile of parts and I barely have to mask off anything.

PHASE 2: PAINTING PREP

This isn't a very long phase, and it mostly consists of getting rid of stickers. Here's the back panel before solvent:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

I took an after pic, but photobucket is being dumb and won't let me upload it. I'll let it suffice to say that it looks like there were never stickers
Masked off and tacked.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


I forgot to take a shot of it primed, but it happened (3 coats and sanded with 600 grit)

Here's after 2 coats of pink:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.






BUT, I knew that this project would not be without mishap. While I was doing the clear-coat on the top, an idiot moth flew onto it and got imbedded! 0-0 In removing it I accidentally scraped down to the original plastic :evil:. I sprayed more pink onto the hole to fix it, and I got a run :x.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.



After the second coat I realized that I have a large chanber that is perpetually heated to 70 degrees - my house.

While that was drying, I applied wax to the other finished pieces. Not much to see, it didn't even glaze too noticably when I was done.

PHASE 4: ASSEMBLY

I got it all together without too much trouble. I had to backtrack twice, once because I didn't have enough of the right screws, and the second time because I didn't get the mouse buttons on right and it wouldn't click. Always check your work before giving it to the customer!
Pics!
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.


0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada